Even Better Roast Chicken
Last year I posted my favourite, perfect roast chicken recipe here. Since then I have tried a number of recipes, with different cooking methods, each claiming to be the best way to roast a chicken. And I have played around with my own variations on that theme. Of course, the absolute best, most succulent chickens will always be the ones you have brined or marinaded. But for quick and easy, and always perfect, here is my even better version.
All of the instructions from the original recipe remain the same, with a slight variation in cooking times and temperature only, as follows:
- Heat oven to 220 degrees C
- Add chicken, oiled and seasoned, back side facing up
- Cook for 30-35 minutes, watching that the skin does not char
- Remove chicken from oven (skin should be a rich mahogany colour) and follow original recipe instructions for flipping and adding veggies
- Return to oven and immediately lower temperature to 200 degrees C
- Cook for 35-40 minutes until juices run clear and legs bones pull away easily
- Rest, carve and enjoy!